Friday, July 25, 2008

Appalachia Habitat For Humanity

Over the course of my cross-country ride, people have been incredibly hospitable and generous. It has been inspiring to see strangers repeatedly go out of their way to help me and fellow cyclists. To honor those who've been so generous, I've decided to try to fund raise during my ride across Oregon, the final leg of this trip. I've chosen an organization, the Appalachia Habitat for Humanity, that serves residents of one of the poorest areas that I traveled through on the Transamerica Trail. The Appalachia Habitat is the second oldest affiliate of Habitat for Humanity. While this branch doesn't have its own website, I have talked with several employees of the organization and they stressed how important every donation is to the work that they do. The organization completes sixteen to eighteen major projects a year.

So, if you have enjoyed this blog, or even if you haven't, and you're so inclined, please make a donation, how ever large or small. You can make a donation online by clicking the "Donate" button on the side of this blog and following the instructions. If you are more comfortable with the analog world than a digital one, you can also donate by sending a check to:

Appalachia Habitat for Humanity
P.O. Box 36
135 E Robbins Rd
Robbins, TN 37852

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank you for continuing to follow my travels and for your comments and emails.

4 comments:

Carrie Dickson said...

A worthy cause, one I have supported and will continue to support.

My husband and I are moving to Portland in January and we would love to hear your perspective of the people and places worth noting.

What a wonderful journey!

Peace,
Carrie Dickson
Houston, TX

Anonymous said...

Oh man, just today I was thinking that what I really enjoy about reading about your trip is that you weren't "raising awareness" of anything! Now you've gone and convinced me to buy Jimmy Carter a nail gun.

The Rider said...

Greg, I feel your pain. It seems you can't take a walk, go for a run, or a bike ride for that matter, without raising money for something. But I couldn't resist. At this point I'm going to assume the donation counter is broken.

Sarah P said...

Are you sure that online donation thing is trustworthy? Otherwise, I'm sending a check.